Here is your last set of pre-race instructions! We have a lot of important info to share here so PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END!!
1. SCHEDULE: Please be on time.
6:15 a.m. — Check in opens
7:15 a.m. — Check in closes
7:20 a.m. — Mandatory Safety Meeting
7:35 a.m. — (approx) leave Madison Park and CARPOOL to the start
8:15 a.m. — 1st wave starts! Waves 2-5 will follow with only 3 minutes between each.
Waves? Yep — View the Heat Sheet and make a note of your wave. You’ll need to check in at the corresponding table number.
2. CHECK IN: You absolutely MUST be checked in to swim! Check-in at Madison Park (which is also the finish line), get numbered, put on your chip, AND stay for the pre-race meeting in order to swim.
3. PARKING: Please, absolutely NO parking allowed along Madison Street or the directly adjoining streets. The businesses need those spaces for their patrons. Respect all barricades, posted signs, driveways, etc. Also, try your very best to BE QUIET when you park in the residential areas. It’s awfully early for the neighbors and a few complained about us the past few years.
4. CATEGORY CHANGES: If you would like to switch divisions (wetsuit or nonwetsuit) you need to FIRST check in with your original division, THEN GO TO THE CHANGE TABLE where you will have a new chip and number assigned.
5. STRAGGLERS & TIME LIMIT: Maintaining everyone’s safety is key for us so we need to keep you bunched together. Single stragglers may be pulled AND those who are not on track to finish the race in 2 hours will be pulled at the 2.5-mile marker. If we need to pull you, please do as we ask without question.
6. TROUBLE ON THE COURSE: We certainly hope you won’t have any, but just in case…UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE SWIM TO THE SHORE AND GO HOME. If you can’t finish, please flag a guard or kayak to be pulled onto a motor boat. If you head for shore we’ll have no idea that you’ve left and will see yourself on the evening news as missing. Please don’t be that person! A lifeguard OR boat will always be closer to you than the shore for the vast majority of this race.
7. EQUIPMENT: This may seem obvious, but just in case: make a checklist or pack your bag ahead of time so you don’t forget anything. Swimsuit, goggles, wetsuit (if applicable), body-glide, towel, warm clothes for before and after (even if the weather is warm, being in the water for a while will lower your body temp), water bottle, etc. Hydrate before you swim! Eat if you need to eat. Anything else? Put it on your list, you might not be quite awake when it’s time to go on Saturday.
USMS rules govern this race — the following equipment is NOT ALLOWED: fins, pull buoy, paddles, snorkel, floating buoy, ipod, etc.
8. REFUNDS: When you registered, you agreed that your entry fee was non-refundable, non-deferrable and non-transferable. If you opt not to swim for any reason, we hope you’ll still come and pick up your shirt and cap and stay to cheer your friends into the finish. Absolutely no bandits swimming in your place. If we find out we’ll make sure you’re not invited to return next year.
9. QUESTIONS? If you have any, check the FAQ’s on our website or the Club Assistant Page If you don’t see the answer there, please be sure to ask at the pre-race meeting, so that others can benefit from your question and our answers.
Thanks for reading thru to the end! We look forward to having you at the 16th annual Fat Salmon Open Water Swim!!! Happy Swimming!!!